Hello fellow sewists/yarn lovers/DIY enthusiasts! Happy 2016. Where did that come from? It honestly feels like out of nowhere especially since I was MIA for the entire month of December. But baking a baby is tough–you read about it, you don’t believe it, and then you sleep/relax a lot. Just a fair warning for those of you who, like me, don’t always believe what you read.
Since I missed posting here in December, check out my latest post on the Minerva Blogger Network that I shared right before Christmas. I still can’t believe that my favorite holiday has come and gone. Okay, I’ll try to stop bringing it up. AHHHHH!
Let’s talk about 2016. What a year it’s already shaping up to be! In about three months we’re going to welcome Baby B into the world, so that means I need to get organized with life! And organized with my sewing plans. Instead of my usual yearly goals list, I decided to share the top nine things I want to make this year. I’ll be able to analyze this list better at the end of the year, and really, I just want to make more things overall!
If you follow me on Instagram (if you don’t, please do! I love sharing what I’m working on in real time and finding inspiration through who I follow) you may have seen that I’m starting to think about what I’m calling a “Very Blissful Wardrobe” this year. I know that my body will be changing all kinds of ways over the next 12 months, and I really want to be mindful about what put in my wardrobe. Pieces that make me feel good about my outwardly appearance (even though it is not all about that!) are going to be on my mind.
To kick of my planning, I participated in the #2016makenine hashtag and shared the top nine patterns I wanted to make this year.
From top left:
- Simplicity 1360 – This will probably be my first wardrobe make of 2016! I’m excited about how versatile this pattern is and the potential to wear it postpartum. I’m also excited to continue my sewing with knits obsession because my husband got me a coverstitch machine! More on that in another post, but I love it so much already.
- Butterick 6244 – I’ve had my eye on the Closet Case Files Clare Coat, but I think I’ll dip my toe into coat making with an unlined coat. Not that it won’t be challenging–this pattern utilizes flat fell seams!
- Closet Case Ginger Jeans – This pattern has been on my to-make list for over a year now. After the baby is here I think I’m going to need some feel good me-made jeans, so I won’t be making these up until the summer.
- Hey June Handmade Cheyenne Tunic – I made a wearable muslin with some holiday fun fabric I had in my stash over Christmas and I l-o-v-e this pattern! It’s going to be a staple in my closet for sure. I’ll be making a version modified for maternity and then a few more unmodified for postpartum wear/nursing. I’m excited about this one–can you tell?
- Cloth Habit Watson Bra – I love looking at all the beautiful versions of the Watson Bra on the blogosphere/Instagram. I’d like to make my own by the end of 2016!
- Sewaholic Dunbar Top – Athletic wear is a must in my wardrobe (mostly because it’s comfy–ha!), so this pattern is at the top of my list!
- Noodlehead Caravan Tote – I purchased this pattern from the Black Friday sale she was having, and I’m excited to get one sewn up!
- Closet Case Sallie Jumpsuit – Adding a jumpsuit to my wardrobe would be so fun, plus there’s a maxi dress variation. I’m sold.
- Grainline Studio Archer – This is another make I’ve had on my list for awhile. While the Cheyenne Tunic has a button down option, I still love the boxier look of the Archer. Hopefully I will cross this one off my list this year.
Whew! What a doozy of a list! I know I can get through it if I put my mind to it and am thoughtful about my projects.
In addition to all of my sewing plans I also have some other fun things to share in the coming weeks, including a nursery reveal (still working hard on that!), more Minerva projects, a kitchen floor before/after (we’re finally saying goodbye to the carpet that has haunted me for two years!) and of course my wardrobe progress. In the meantime, follow me on Instagram for updates in real time. I’ll follow you back!